Nicolas Maduro Fact Sheet
- Nicolas Maduro was groomed as Hugo Chavez’s successor.
- He succeeded Chavez after the latter’s death in 2013. He was later elected to the presidency in a narrow vote.
- He was reelected in 2018 in an election that much of the world deems as fraught with corruption and fraud.
- Maduro’s presidency dawned just as the price of oil was collapsing from the record highs that Venezuela’s economy had been propped up by since 2006.
- As conditions worsened in Venezuela the rule of Nicolas Maduro grew increasingly unpopular. He has responded to unrest with force, seeking to suppress opposition at every turn.
- He has been the target of several high profile assassination attempts include some caught on national television.
- Like Chavez before him, President Maduro blames the nation’s problems on conspiracies and efforts from his enemies in the United States.
Check back often for updates to this Nicolas Maduro fact sheet. Click below for a look at my full explainer and fact sheets on the Venezuelan crisis.